Parks should be multifunctional.
They should appeal to a range of users and provide for year round enjoyment. Incorporate simple, uncluttered areas which are flexible and adaptable to a range of activities and allow multiple users to happily coexist. Work together with the community to accommodate their needs, allowing for a variety of uses and experiences.
Design flexible spaces
Civic spaces must provide comfortable and functional spaces which enable a diverse range of activities to take place.
Design flexible spaces by:
- including larger areas where events and festivals can take place and smaller spaces for individuals or small groups
- understanding what the proposed future use of the space will be, and providing appropriate infrastructure to support that use
- considering the use of moveable furniture and incorporating storage space for furniture
- providing for event vehicle access
- designing for succession, so that the space can easily and cost effectively be adapted for a different future use.